Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Role Models

John Morris was my uncle.  He passed away on Sunday.  A week ago he was to come to our family reunion, but pneumonia and his weakened condition kept him away, so many of us who loved him have to go back a year to the last time that we
had the chance to talk with him.  It was just months after the death of his wife of 63 years.  He and Bert had a wonderful life together.  For me he was one of the four men whom I have looked up to my whole life.

Two of my role models were my grandfathers.  Both were Methodist ministers who never wavered in their core values.  From the day that I could understand what they did, I carried around with me a glowing pride of what they stood for and how they conducted themselves. Grandpa and gramdma Finch raised two daughters successfully even though his father left him when he was young.  From that point on Damon Finch became the man of the house.  A similar situation happened for Thurman Morris.  His father Walter died when he was young.  Being the oldest of three brothers, it came to him to be responsible at a young age.  He and my grandmother Mary raised two boys and two girls to be fantastic parents themselves.

John and my dad were their first children.  Martha came next, and years later, Becky.  My dad and "Johnny" as we called him were a challenge to my grandparents.  The stories of the pranks they pulled were always the subject of our family gatherings even long after my grandparents had passed on.  They were told lovingly.  The picture below was taken before Becky was born.


Dad is on the left in the picture; Johnny on the right.  This was before both had gone off to fight for their country in World War II.  Both of these young men soon started families and when they did they left a legacy with their children.  Obviously, I looked up to my father, still do.  He had so many qualities that I hope that I carry on like kindness, sense of humor, carrying, and most of all love of family.  The same qualities were in Johnny.

In addition, I always used Johnny as a role model as well.  It might have come from the fact that my mom and dad gave me my middle name in honor of John.  I think that it is because from the first time that I can remember our families getting together, I could sense how important family was to him.  When we gathered together at the lake or grandma and grandpa's house, he was always in there playing with us, laughing and enjoying why there is family.

So when  he told us all that he was taking his family and moving to Toronto because his business was taking him there, it was hard on us.  I remember gathering at grandma and grandpa's to say goodbye.  The two pictures below are of Johnny's family and the car that they left in.
For a long time, we didn't get to see much of Johnny and his family.  They eventually moved to Connecticut which is where they were ever since.  But when they came back, it was like no time had passed at all.  Years later, we started connecting more with family reunions.  Then my mom and dad died, but Johnny and Bert helped to drive the fact that family still needs to get together.
Because this blog is about my years in education, I feel the need to connect this to my overall goal.  It isn't hard to do.  Johnny's passing is sad for us.  I feel like I, personally, have lost that one person who ties me to goodness that I learned to enjoy from life, especially my own family.  Johnny, my dad, and my grandfathers remind me that strong fathers are important to families.  My father, my grandfathers, and now Johnny live on because there are men whom they raised to be role models themselves.  Our young people need strong men like Johnny in their lives.

Finally, Johnny, thank you for all that you did.  Rest assured that we as a family will continue to gather in your honor.  Enjoy getting together again with Bert, dad, mom, Becky, grandma, and grandpa.  You know they have been playing Canasta without you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts