February 1, 1968 - I was in the third row of the auditorium/gymnasium at Manchester College. I was a freshman and had sat through my share of convocations as required by the college. On this day every single student was in the seat that was assigned to them for the year of speeches. No one paid another student to "take a day" for them. This was our day with history. In fact, most of us were in our seats long before the speech was to start.
Martin Luther King, Jr. was scheduled to speak to us. One year previous to this, I might not have been as knowledgeable about him or anything outside of high school world. One semester in college made me aware of a war, racial tensions, and class struggles. So, as I sat there, I took in the whole environment as if I were making a video.
Obviously, there were the hundreds of students and staff in their seats. In addition, newspaper reporters, cameramen from the networks, and local politicians lined the sides of the auditorium. The stage, which also served as the gymnasium floor, had the curtain pulled across it with the solid, handsome wood podium at the center.
Then there was a rustle of sound. The audience sensed it, found their seats, and stared at the curtain stage right, knowing the famous man would enter through the curtain there. And he did. A. Blair Helman, Manchester College president, lead him center stage.
Then, I was enthralled with the words of a phenomenal speaker. Maftin Luther King, Jr. opened a world to me that I thought that I knew. He didn't talk directly to me with his words, but he did. I hadn't really chosen a profession before that speech, and I didn't that day either. What I did learn from that speech was that there were people in the world that needed me. I felt like I was challenged to make a difference in the lives of others
I don't remember leaving the auditorium. I don't remember the rest of the day. I just remember the determination that was inside me from that point on. I considered a lot of ways to go with my life: minister, missionary, social worker, and teacher. There were a couple of times in the next few years where I doubted my choice, but in my sophomore year, I chose to teach.
I have had the chance to teach hundreds of students. Many of them have expressed to me how I had helped them and influenced their lives. Most of the time that just embarrasses me. When I see them with their children, when I see the work that they have done, when I realize that they also are fulfilling King's dream, that is when I fill with pride. Take the challenge, and pass it on
No comments:
Post a Comment