Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Teaching and Coaching

As the day neared its end today, I was sitting there realizing that I was exhausted.  Taking the whole day into consideration, there is little wonder that I was tired.  I created accounts for all 1737 students in the software we are going to use for test preparation for English, math, and biology.  Then I created accounts for students who weren't included in the credit recovery classes.  Then began the many tours of the building to address teacher and student issues.  Somewhere along the way I was told we needed to have the auditorium ready for the sister city students and teachers from China by 5 PM.

Just typing it, reminds me how great that bed will feel tonight.  Yet, when I look at my day in 2013 and compare it a day in 1971, I really didn't do that much today.  Although I didn't start my day until 8:00 in the morning in 1971, and now I am in my office by 6:45,and most days I can say that I am home by 4:30.  Unless I am directing a play or getting ready for Kids Surviving Cancer.

My day in 1971 usually started with helping get the students into the building and into their classes.  Then I had a seemingly endless series of classes brought to the gym byh their teachers for 20 to 30 minutes at a time depending on grade level.  At lunch I had clean up duties because lunch was in the gym where I would have classes all afternoon.  I wasn't one of those PE teachers who stood and watched the kids.  I did whatever they were doing.  If they were running, I ran with them.  Playing kickball or hockey, I was in there with them.  They really laughed at me when we did gymnastics, because this big guy who was teaching them wasn't all that graceful, but I was enthusiastic!

Elementary schools ended their day at 3:20, but I had to leave by 3:00 because I had coaching duties at South Side High School.  In the fall it was football;then  from February through June it was baseball.  Coaching extended all of my early days of teaching to at least 6:00 each day if there wasn't a game, then the day was longer.  Mrs.  Adams, my principal, made my schedule so that my planning time was at the end of the day so that I could use that time to travel to practice.  That meant that I only had planning time during the school day for the months of November through January.  I don't ever remember being tired

So, do 42 years make a difference in stamina?  Duh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts