As a teacher beginning teaching in the early 1970's, I was required to get my master's degree. I seem to remember that I was to get it within five years of the time that I obtained my bachelor's degree. I have always been a person who makes sure if something is required of me, I should get it done. So, I began the quest for a master's degree at St. Francis.
I only took one class at St. Francis. The reason that I chose St. Francis was because my father told me it was a great place and that he knew one of the professors in my area. I had graduated from Manchester with a degree in Health, Physical Education, and Recreation. I was a course short of having my license in English, which was a direct result of the mono that derailed me in my sophomore year. After looking at my transcript, the counselor at St. Francis advised me to get my masters in my licensed area, so that was how I started.
The class started on a Monday while I was coaching football. Practice ended at 5:00. Class started at 6:00. I picked up a burger and ate it along the way. I hurried into the room to find no one there. I rechecked the card that had all the information about the class. Right night, right time, right place. So I sat down. When starting time came and went, I wondered if the old college rule of waiting applied in graduate school. Gradually, one by one, classmates entered. Every single one of them wearing coaching outfits from the various schools in the area. Then there was a familiar face.
That was when I knew that my father was still in the background pulling strings. The professor he knew and the professor who taught this class was Clarence Biedenweg, the same person who "interviewed" me and set me up for my first teaching job. He noticed me and gave me a nod. All I remember about my first graduate credits were that they were easy, and we almost never started on time. Clarence was aware that we all had coaching duties.
Clarence came back into my life a year later. He had retired from Fort Wayne Community Schools, but he had taken a part time job. He was teaching Driver's School for driver's who had enough traffic citations that the course was mandated for them. Now, you might wonder how I would know that. I have always blamed it on my brother.
Jack was a senior, and an important member of the football team. I was assistant coach on that team. One day after arriving home from practice, he remembered that he had an appointment to get his senior picture taken. He wasn't ready. Mom and dad weren't available. I was.
We jumped in my car, a 1971 Camaro. I insert that because I have always believed that was important as well. We were actually late for the appointment, so I don't know why I was speeding. The incident took place at the curve on Lake that is bordered by the ponds before Anthony. The officer said that I was doing over 60 MPH which evidently meant that I was being reckless.
I defended myself before Judge Thieme. He listened to the story, fined me $250 and required that I go to Driver's School to keep my license. So that is how I met Clarence Biedenweg for the third time. When I walked into the room, he recognized me and gave a nod. That was the last time I saw him. I never found out if he was disappointed with me or found it humorous. My guess is a little of both.
Originally, I started this as my experiences in education, but then I realized that my experiences started much earlier.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
Tomorrow, I will be helping with the last Freshman Orientation of my career. That's right, after over 40 years of going to a school eve...
-
John Morris was my uncle. He passed away on Sunday. A week ago he was to come to our family reunion, but pneumonia and his weakened condit...
-
I remember that his name was Steve. He was about five foot ten with long unkempt brown hair. He had a full beard when he entered my class ...
-
Many of you know that I wrote a novel and published it. Some of you actually read it. It doesn't matter to me that it will never get w...
-
I have always loved Thanksgiving. I admit that one of the reasons is that I love turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, pumpkin pie, ...
No comments:
Post a Comment