I think that there is some logic to backing up the story of my first holidays with the one that I am currently experiencing. Once again, the focus has been on family. Sure, I am writing right now, and I have spent some time on the family genealogy, but most of this vacation time has been spent with family. And I can say that except for in one instance, I have only spent about 10 minutes in the building. Even more impressive is that I haven't even thought about school much.
This time, however, I find myself, whenever there is a moment free, wondering what I will do in retirement. I have had that question posed to me often since I made the decision, and I invariably come up with an answer. Most of the time it is centered on my grandchildren, my children and their spouses, and my wife. I have gradually come to the realization that I will want to do more. After all, when I retired the first time, it took me just two months to realize that I wanted to do something.
I landed with Bowen Center and spent a year working as a child and adolescent case manager. I did love working with young people one on one. I did well enough to be named the employee of the quarter for the whole Bowen Center corporation. When I left, I knew that I wanted to go back. What I learned while I was with them, I have used in the past seven years to help students and teachers. But when I checked in at Bowen to see who was still there I found that only three people remained.
Besides, I don't want to tie myself to a job. I want the flexibility to go on a trip when I want to, to follow my grandchildren in their activities, and I really want to write. This blog has been great fun and cathartic, and I have plenty more to put into writing, if for no other reason than to chronicle my life for my family, something that I wish my mother and father had done. Whatever I do, it must allow for flexibility.
So, this day before the first day of 2014, I want to wish a very Happy New Year to all of you who have stayed with me through this project. And I want you to know that my New Year's resolution is to have a plan for the rest of my life by spring break! If this resolution works like all the rest, I will have to ask for an extension.
Originally, I started this as my experiences in education, but then I realized that my experiences started much earlier.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
Tomorrow, I will be helping with the last Freshman Orientation of my career. That's right, after over 40 years of going to a school eve...
-
John Morris was my uncle. He passed away on Sunday. A week ago he was to come to our family reunion, but pneumonia and his weakened condit...
-
I remember that his name was Steve. He was about five foot ten with long unkempt brown hair. He had a full beard when he entered my class ...
-
Many of you know that I wrote a novel and published it. Some of you actually read it. It doesn't matter to me that it will never get w...
-
I have always loved Thanksgiving. I admit that one of the reasons is that I love turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, pumpkin pie, ...
No comments:
Post a Comment