It has been a while since I had the time to write a post, and this one will be slightly different from the others. If you have stayed with me so far, I have told stories of my years as a teacher and administrator. This entry will still stay with education, but it is more about the future of education, especially the decisions that have been made about the future of our children, including my grandchildren.
In the past few years, there has been a concerted effort to change education to fit the business mold. Back in the 80's we heard that business types were sure that they could do what I was trained to do and worked at diligently for over 40 years. Since then that business model gradually became No Child Left Behind and flowed eventually into Common Core. The initiatives that came with the changes included vouchers and charter schools. Interestingly, neither of these ideas adopt the business model that was so important. Whether either of this concepts will ever be successful is obviously up for debate.
The reason that we will always debate the success of any of these initiatives is that there are too many variables in the classroom. And I realize as soon as I would list those, the eyes will roll and the naysayers will say that I am justifying the failures of education. So, I won't do that. What I will say is that I wouldn't expect any two businesses to be judged on criteria that are specific to their own circumstances. Ben and Jerry's business model is not the same as Microsoft. I know that is simplistic and maybe not even relevant, but why can't these businesses see that in education as well.
I need to get to the point. Education in all of its forms - public, parochial, charter, or any other form - needs to have legislators whose only agenda is our children and their future. That person needs to be able to weigh the facts, not just what some business representative sells them. That is my brother Jack Morris.
Some of you are still trying to decide for whom you will cast your vote for state senator next week. I have no doubt that Jack is the best candidate. I think that he has stated his position on the direction that the state of Indiana is heading very well. You can go to his website if you want the details. What I can add is that even though he and I don't agree on all issues, I know that he is passionate about doing the right thing for all of us. He is an advocate for all students and the city of Fort Wayne. Elect him and you will get a senator who will represent this area, not a business group that isn't even in Indiana.
Originally, I started this as my experiences in education, but then I realized that my experiences started much earlier.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
Tomorrow, I will be helping with the last Freshman Orientation of my career. That's right, after over 40 years of going to a school eve...
-
John Morris was my uncle. He passed away on Sunday. A week ago he was to come to our family reunion, but pneumonia and his weakened condit...
-
I remember that his name was Steve. He was about five foot ten with long unkempt brown hair. He had a full beard when he entered my class ...
-
Many of you know that I wrote a novel and published it. Some of you actually read it. It doesn't matter to me that it will never get w...
-
I have always loved Thanksgiving. I admit that one of the reasons is that I love turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, pumpkin pie, ...
No comments:
Post a Comment