Last night, I was saying to Michele that I needed to start preserving stories from my parents and grandparents for our children and grandchildren. Then, when I woke up this morning, it hit me that there are some pretty good stories of my growing up that they might enjoy some day. That is when I remembered about the trips to downtown Fort Wayne at Christmas time.
As was probably the case with almost anyone who grew up in Fort Wayne in the 50's and 60's, we would go downtown to see the Christmas decorations in the Wolf and Dessaur windows.
I remmber going down and looking through those windows at the animated story that was being told. I remember seeing Santa and his reindeer on the side of the building. What really resonates with me however was the shopping at GC Murphy's!
This is my first memory of shopping. I was probably 8 or 9 years old. Mom loaded all four of us into the car and headed downtown. We parked in the parking garage that was a block away from both stores. As we made it to the sidewalk, we saw the wonder of Santa, the sleigh, and the reindeer. It was a powerful beginning to the wonder of all that downtown had to offer.
I remember that I thought this had to be the most wonderous place in the whole world! We gazed through the window at trains, elves, snowmen, and all the other aspects of the story of Christmas. What could possibly top this!
That was when Mom told us we were going to Murphy's to shop. I was excited to buy gifts for my sister, brothers, Mom, and Dad. I wasn't sure that I wanted to leave all this Christmas joy, but my mind was changed as we came upon Murphy's. Looking back, it was so simple, but such an overwhelming sight. Donuts! They were being made in the window, on a machine that seemed to have endless donuts passing through it. Then I remembered how my Dad had told Mom that she needed to bring home a dozen donuts.
I immediately reminded Mom that we had to get donuts. She smiled at me and said, "We will get them, but when we are leaving. Your father likes to get them while they are still warm." My recollection of those donuts verifies my father's preference.
We then toured the store. I don't remember anything that I purchased for anyone or how much my Mom gave me to buy anything. In fact, I don't remember anything about the shopping. What I do remember is an area to the back of the store. There was music playing and a lot of young people around looking at what I later found out were records. This was my formal introduction to what would be my fascination for the rest of my life - music!
There was a guy there who was taking requests to listen to songs. He would then place the record on a record player for all to hear. There was always another request when one record was finished. Until Murphy's discontinued that feature, I would request song after song when I went downtown.
We did get the donuts when we left, and I got to hold them all the way home. They were so fresh that I could safely tell my Dad that they were warm. As they kept me warm, I traveled home with the glow of downtown Fort Wayne on my mind and the music of Murphy's in my heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment