Saturday, August 24, 2013

And Then There Was Kenny

So many of those elementary school students whom I taught 40 years ago are still very fresh in my memory.   I don't know if it was because they were my first students or that they were just so filled with life, but their faces and stories are burnt into my memory.

At this point I feel you may need a little more background on Whitney Young and Fort Wayne Community Schools.  Full integration of the school district didn't happen until I had moved on to teach high school. Whitney Young, at the time, was like all other elementary schools in the district - a neighborhood school. We hadn't started busing students yet.  So, 98% of our students were African-American.  And unless someone pointed it out to me, like at my monthly district new teacher meetings (teachers at other buildings would say insensitive things about working in the inner city), I just knew that these were my kids, and I loved them.

And one of those kids that I loved so much was Kenny.  From the first day that I met him, whenever I saw him, he made me smile.  He was a second grader when we met.  When he came to the gym, you could see in his face that he was ready for anything that I was about to teach him.  But what made him special was that he didn't allow his handicap stop him from anything.

It was his arm.  I never really knew how it came to be in the position that he had to carry it, but I did know that he never let it stop him from doing anything.  I worried about him doing push-ups, climbing a rope, catching a ball, actually almost anything.  He did it all.  He never complained that he couldn't do it as well as the others.  He just did it.

He went on to middle and high school where I lost track of him for a while.  Then I saw him in the evening paper where he was featured in the preseason football section.  He had become a very good football player using his handicap to his advantage.  I remember when our team played his, I watched him more than any other player.  What determination!  He had become a great football player!

Again, I lost track of him for a few more years until I visited our feeder school and saw him there.  Coaching football!  He got his degree and was teaching computers!  Again, I watched him as he lead his team.  It was obvious the players loved him.  Over the years I have had the chance to observe him in the classroom as well.  He has that knack to get students to do more for him than anyone else.  Very proud of him.

I hadn't intended to put Kenny's name on this blog, because I wasn't sure that it was necessary, and I hope that he doesn't mind.  It is because he is an inspiration to me and the students who have crossed his path.  And to the teaching profession, he sends the message - don't give up on anyone. Thanks for giving me a great lesson over the years Kenny!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts