Today was a day long meeting. Data, data, and more data. I understand the need to keep track of student progress, in fact, I was trained on data while learning methods of teaching. It was very obvious that was where education was going. The good news is that our technology is going to keep up with all that data to help us.
When I left the meeting, I consciously took a different route room. The route that I took between my first teaching job and the coaching I did at South Side 42 years ago. When I pulled up to the parking lot of Whitney Young, I was struck by how time has not really changed the exterior. What I knew, however, is that it had changed a lot. It is no longer an elementary school. A few years ago it became an early childhood school. The open concept pods that were the new thing in the 70's made way to walled rooms.
As I put the car in drive to move on, I realized the playground was in the same place. No matter what else changes, kids still need to play.
When I pulled away, I thought through all of those teachers who taught with me that first year at Young. It hit me hard. I am pretty sure that I am the last of the whole original staff of Whitney Young Elementary to work in FWCS. I can't process that. Should I be proud of the longevity, or be depressed that I am still around?
Originally, I started this as my experiences in education, but then I realized that my experiences started much earlier.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
Tomorrow, I will be helping with the last Freshman Orientation of my career. That's right, after over 40 years of going to a school eve...
-
John Morris was my uncle. He passed away on Sunday. A week ago he was to come to our family reunion, but pneumonia and his weakened condit...
-
I remember that his name was Steve. He was about five foot ten with long unkempt brown hair. He had a full beard when he entered my class ...
-
Many of you know that I wrote a novel and published it. Some of you actually read it. It doesn't matter to me that it will never get w...
-
I have always loved Thanksgiving. I admit that one of the reasons is that I love turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, pumpkin pie, ...
No comments:
Post a Comment